Employment - Canadian Automotive Museum
The Canadian Automotive Museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing Canada’s automotive history.
The Canadian Automotive Museum (CAM), located in Oshawa, Ontario has exhibited the story of the automobile in Canada for over 55 years. The museum tells the unique story of the automobile in Canada and maintains the world’s most significant collection of Canadian cars.
The Canadian Automotive Museum (CAM) seeks a Curatorial Intern to assist with the development of new interpretive materials for the museum’s Canadian Gallery that will highlight the international importance of 10 vehicles on display, including unique Canadian marques such as McLaughin, Tudhope, and McKay. The selected candidate will gain hands-on experience in exhibit planning, curatorial research, and content development.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Research 10 historic automobiles.
• Write exhibit text and create display panels.
• Select images and obtain reproduction rights.
• Write and post blog entries, website content, newsletter articles, and social media updates related to exhibit content.
• Develop guided tour of early vehicles in the Canadian Gallery.
• Maintain collections records and project files.
• Working in the museum office, provide service to visitors during peak periods, including admissions, gift shop, and membership sales.
• Assist museum the Executive Director with non-curatorial functions including fundraising, marketing, and educational programs.
• A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee entitled to work in Canada.
• Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
• Recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment.
• Have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
• Preference given to candidates with a background in Museum Studies, history, automotive engineering, or a similar field with experience working in a museum or library setting.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Reading ability of French.
• General knowledge of automobiles and 20th century history.
• Technology: Use online research tools, digitization technology, and web based media.
• Communications: Interact with others via email, phone, and in-person discussion.
• Organization: Track projects and measurable outcomes.
• Customer Service: Work with the public both in-person and virtually.
This position is contingent on successful funding from Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage. The Canadian Automotive Museum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Prior automotive knowledge is not required, but we are seeking a candidate who is interested in learning about Canadian heritage using our unique and fascinating collection.
Positions Available: 1
Duration: 24 weeks (September 30, 2019 through March 27, 2020), 37.5 hours/week
Hours: Monday-Friday 9am to 5pm
English language position with a basic knowledge of French preferred.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, two references, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, September 13, 2019.
Oshawa, Ontario has a population of 157,000 and is located 45 minutes east of downtown Toronto. It is known as Canada’s Motor City because it is home to General Motors of Canada. The Canadian Automotive Museum is accessible by public transportation through GO Transit and Durham Regional Transit. For more information please visit www.canadianautomotivemuseum.com/.
Page updated July 18, 2019