Employment - Canadian Automotive Museum
The Canadian Automotive Museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing Canada’s automotive history.
Youth Programs Assistant (CSJ Summer Position)
The Canadian Automotive Museum (CAM), located in Oshawa, Ontario has exhibited the story of the automobile in Canada for over 50 years. Home to the world’s most significant collection of Canadian cars, the museum tells the unique story of the automobile in Canada.
The Canadian Automotive Museum seeks a summer Youth Programs Assistant to contribute to summer youth and family programming. The selected candidate will gain hands-on experience in developing and delivering youth programming in both official languages to a diverse international audience.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct family-friendly gallery tours in both official languages for visitors.
- Assist with the creation, execution and evaluation of youth and children activity days throughout the summer.
- Use social media and other internet-based technologies to promote programs and engage online audiences.
- Maintain drop-in youth activity stations for visitors in the museum galleries.
- Implement STEM concepts related to automobiles into tours and programs with a goal of making these concepts fun and accessible to younger audiences.
- Research questions that arise from visitors during tours and programs.
- Sell tickets and perform gift shop transactions as part of the visitor services team during high-volume periods.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident entitled to work in Canada.
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and communication skills.
- Preference given to candidates with a background in education, museum studies, history, automotive engineering or a similar field.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit environment is an asset.
- Ability to speak French preferred.=
- Technology: Use web-based programs and social media to reach new audiences.
- Communications: Interact with others via social media and in-person.
- Organization: Track projects and measurable outcomes.
- Customer Service: Ensure visitors have a positive experience.
- Research: Develop new stories to share during tours.
- Time Management: Deliver content within specified time requirements.
This position is contingent on successful funding from Canada Summer Jobs. All offers of employment for this position will be conditional upon satisfactory reference checks. Eligibility in Canada Summer Jobs is required. The Canadian Automotive Museum strives to employ a staff that represents its visitors and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Positions Available: 1
Duration: 12 weeks
Hours: 35 hrs/week
Start date: June 5, 2017
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, May 26, 2017.
Oshawa, Ontario has a population of 157,000 and is located 45 minutes east of Toronto along Lake Ontario in Durham Region. It is known as Canada’s Motor City because it is home to General Motors Canada. Formerly an industrial city, downtown Oshawa has been transformed with the growing presence of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) and a renewed focus on the city’s arts and cultural resources. Oshawa attracts a significant number of domestic and foreign visitors during the summer who travel through the area on Highway 401 between Niagara Falls and Montreal.
Page updated May 2017